Good morning to you all! Before heading to church, I wanted to let you all know how my potted plant project went!
When my husband and I moved into our house in July, the landscaping was…meh. Nothing fun, nothing exciting, just blah. Recently, we’ve been working on beautifying the yard. Below is a before picture. The area in front of the sidewalk (where the lights are) is where hubby ripped out the yucky pine straw. That area will soon be replaced with grass.
Since then, we’ve ripped out some of those small round bushes and removed the mulch. The picture below was taken yesterday morning, after we spent Friday afternoon planting a couple of new bushes and spreading new (black) mulch. Don’t worry, those stones are only there to keep the new mulch separated from the area we haven’t gotten to yet.
Yesterday while I was working on my potted plants, hubby worked on laying more mulch. You’ll see it at the end of this post 🙂 Now if you remember, I told you that I was going to create some fun potted planters out of a couple of terra cotta pots. See how plain they were? Boring…
Here’s what I did to jazz them up: First I spray painted them with Valspar primer – 2 coats. I spray painted the first coat, waited 5 minutes, then did the second coat. [ When I paint something, I always start with the object laying face down. That way, if the bottom gets knicked up, you won’t be able to see it ]
In this picture, you can see two larger pots (10″) and a smaller one (8″). The two larger pots are the ones John and I purchased a few weeks ago, the smaller pot we already had. We decided to buy another small one so we’d have two pots on both sides of the stairs. For the large pots, I used Valspar’s Peacock blue and for the smaller pots John picked out Sprout green. Both cans were exterior spray paint so we didn’t have to do a top coat – one less step!! As you can see from the photo below, they turned out great!
In the past, when I’ve planted flowers in pots, I’ve only planted one kind of flower. For my pots, I wasn’t sure which flowers to use. So while at Lowe’s yesterday morning, I stared at the flowers, hoping to find some inspiration. One of the workers, Donna, asked me if I needed any help, and I explained to her my predicament. I did not want to use any white or yellow flowers (our house is yellow and white). I also told her that I wanted to use different types of flowers for each set of pots (ie: I didn’t want to use all geraniums or all petunias). I was relieved when she told me that she loved creating fun potted plants, so I knew I was in good hands.
Have you guys ever seen those potted plants in the magazines that show several different types of plants/flowers in one pot? I have. And I’ve always wondered how they pick the various plants. I’ve never had the guts to try that myself. But since I had Donna helping me yesterday, I decided to take the plunge and try it out! Here’s what she suggested (and what I did)…
For the 10″ pots, I used three small hot pink Geraniums, one Spike Dracaena, and one Variegated Vinca. [ I also used a potting mix, but I cannot recall what brand off the top of my head ] I arranged the pot so that the Spike Dracaena was in the back, the three Geraniums in the middle/front, and I separated the Vinca (one in the front right and the other in the front left). It turned out so pretty!
For the 8″ pots, I used three orange/red Salvia and three Dusty Millers. I planted the dusty millers in the back and the salvias in the front. Like the first pot, I was quite pleased with the mix.
Oh, I just love it all!! I can’t wait till they get bigger and fuller! Alright, I have one more thing to share with you. Back in the fall, the hubby and I had some hanging plants on our porch that we tucked away after the flowers died. I figured since I was going to be planting anyways, I might as well fix up the hanging plants while my hands would be dirty ;-P
The flowers I used were dark purple Petunias and light purple Scopia Gulliver Bacopas. I placed two bacopas in the front and four petunias around the middle/back. Just like with the potted plants, I am equally pleased with the overall look of the hanging plants, but I will be more excited when they get bigger/fuller 😀
Hooray for beautiful flowers and better landscaping! I am so anxious for everything to be done (new bushes, more mulch, new grass, porch furniture, etc), but I know that good things take time…After church today, John and I plan on priming our chairs for the front porch. Then we’re hoping to get them painted next weekend! But with school starting back tomorrow…that very well might not happen 😉 We’ll just hope for the best. Alright folks, it’s time to leave for church. I hope you all have a blessed day! Happy crafting,