Happy Saturday to you all! I hope your weekend is off to a great start. Mine certainly is – I was able to relax last night, I slept in this morning, drank some coffee, and finished the wreath that I will be sharing with you today!
The first week back at school was pretty good for me. Like I’ve said in previous posts, this has been by far the best school year yet. I really enjoy my classes and my students. We usually don’t get extremely cold winters, however this week, we had lows in the teens (that is extremely cold for SC). Because of such low temps, we had two hour delays at school on Tuesday and Wednesday. Those are the best because we don’t have to make up that lost time 🙂
I’m looking forward to this upcoming school week and the one after it. On Friday the 17th, we’re having a professional development day, so kids don’t have school – essentially a four day “work” week! And of course the next week, we don’t have school on Monday the 20th because of Martin Luther King, Jr day – again, another four day work week! Hubby and I will also be traveling to my parent’s house that holiday weekend to spend it with family, so that will be even more fun! We’re going to be so spoiled.
Alright, let’s get to today’s post! I was at Hobby Lobby one day during Christmas break trying to figure out what to do for my January wreath when inspiration struck me. I picked up a huge wooden “S” which is roughly 16 – 18 inches tall and almost 1/2 inch thick. If I remember correctly, it was $12.99 plus tax.
I decided to paint stripes on my “S” – navy and white. I took my handy dandy ruler and level and went to work drawing my stripes about 2 inches apart. Using my pencil, I labeled each stripe which color to paint it, as you’ll see in the second picture.
Before painting the stripes, I wanted to paint the side. I used acrylic paint found at Hobby Lobby, a bottle of Folk Art paint in Navy Blue (it cost less than $2 a bottle).
Next, I took my frog tape and taped off the white stripe areas. To make sure the tape was completely “attached” to the wood, I took a credit card and ran it over several times. I used a bottle of Folk Art acrylic paint in Titanium White and painted three coats, letting it dry in between each coat. I let it dry completely overnight and took the tape off in the morning.
Next I taped off the areas for my navy stripes. Again, I painted three coats, letting them dry in between, and peeled off the tape the next morning after completely letting it dry overnight.
As an accent, I bought three flowers, all in varying shades of teal and all different textures (each flower cost less than $5 each). Two of the flowers had metal fasteners that I broke off. I used some super glue gel and attached them to the upper left hand “corner” of the wood.
I had bought some sliver glitter ribbon to hang the “S” with, but unfortunately, it didn’t work out. Thankfully, it hangs on the hook all on its own!
I am super happy with how it turned out! I used these colors because when I think of January, I think of winter. And when I think of winter, I think of blues, silvers, and whites. The best part about this wreath is that it could be used any time of year – just change the colors to match whatever theme you need!
Alright, I’ve had my time to relax and drink coffee. Now it’s time to do some school work, laundry, and house cleaning! I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend! Happy crafting,